This Grade 1 listed medieval pilgrim's hospice dates from 1180 AD laying over the River Stour in Kent. The buildings are visited by around 20,000 a year including a high number from abroad.
Viridor Credits has previously provided funding in 2011 towards the restoration of the Chapel roof within the grounds of the hospital. Further funding was awarded in 2014 to carry out structural repairs and in 2015 to conserve a Romanesque fresco.
The hospital has recently received funding for the Juxon Room, named after an Archbishop of Canterbury who gave generously to the hospital many years ago, to provide new exhibition and display facilities. This will improve public knowledge of the history of the hospice. The highlight of the exhibition room is the glass viewing panel to the river flowing underneath the building.
The unrestored room is in the picture on the left and the completed restoration on the right was official opened by the Right Reverend Trevor Willmott, Bishop of Dover on the 21st March 2019 and attended by Peter Williams of the South East steering group. Alicia Pentin, on behalf of the Trustees of Eastbridge Hospital passed on their gratitude for the award from Viridor Credits which has enabled this important work to be accomplished.